In episode 84 we explore the 4 styles of parenting: authoritarian, permissive, neglectful, and authoritative. We examine how to recognize each style and how each style effects the child.
1) Authoritarian Parenting – strict, rely on obedience. Structure. Rules and structure are good but typically authoritarian’s take it too far.
How to recognize Authoritarian parenting?
– Do you use punishment to get your kids to do something you ask?
– Not alot of being warm and fuzzy toward the child
– Do you have strict rules that need to be followed?
– Use the term “Because I said so”
What does Authoritarian parenting do to kids?
difficulty in social situations
misbehaving outside of parental site
fearful or shy
associate obedience with love
2) Permissive Parenting – also known as indulgent, responsive but not demanding, avoid confrontation, lack of structure. This style is nurturing and loving but doesn’t provide any structure.
How to recognize Permissive parenting?
– Do you avoid conflict with your child?
– You want to be their friend rather than parent
– Use rewards or bribes to get them to do things
What does Permissive parenting do to kids?
Teens are 3X more likely to engage in underage heavy alcohol consumption
poor social skills
lack of discipline
poor academic performance
lack of motivation
problems with authority
3) Neglectful / Uninvolved – probably the most harmful. It’s typically not cause by children’s behavior. Parents with this style need help. The good news is that it can be helped.
How to recognize Neglectful / Uninvolved parenting:
– Do you know what is going on in your child’s life?
– Is the home a safe place?
– Do you spend a lot of time away from home leaving the child alone?
– Do you spend any time with the child outside the home?
What does Neglectful / Uninvolved parenting do to kids?
hard time forming relationships
lack of trust
trouble dealing with other children
4) Authoritative Parenting – This style regarded as the most effective and is considered a healthy relationship. The is a balance of firmness love.
How to recognize Authoritative Parenting :
– Do you have structure and rules in the house are understood?
– Are there consequences for disrupting the rules?
– Does the child understand expectations?
– Do you have open communication with your child?
If you want to know more about this, Click here